I've moved

Hi, thanks for dropping by - I've moved over to wordpress and I'm no longer maintaining this one.
Please head over to http://24heuer.com cheers, Andy...

Sunday 26 September 2010

510.501 - more pics...

Still really pleased with this watch. Had it on since Friday and it hasn't missed a beat or more than a few seconds.
Before it arrived I expected it to be a lot smaller and lighter and really this buy was another gamble.
It's prompted a bit of reading into the Lemania 5100 engine inside.

Check out the 24hr dial at the top also.
I haven't opened it yet and I'm not expecting anything as beautiful or refined as a Cal 11 but it sounds like this is a true workhorse diesel.
It feels as robust as the reputation that preceeds it.
The bracelet's got what looks like a TAG shield logo (doesn't say TAG) on the clasp but comes with a spare link with an 'Heuer'only label attached.
The papers that accompany the watch are dated 1986 so that ties in with the TAG/Heuer transition period. This is the PVD version that has lasted well and even has the signed crown.
Looks and feels absolutely bullet-proof.
A nice extra was the original box and instruction set :-)

Tuesday 28th - Update: Amazing. watch has gained only around 10 seconds since Friday! AndyO...

Saturday 25 September 2010

And now for something completely different - Heuer 510.501 just arrived.

Really impressed.
Nice heavy watch in great condition including box and papers :-)
Another iPhone pic - more later...

Thursday 23 September 2010

Saturday 18 September 2010

Patience finally pays off!

So finally I got a set of correct hands for my transitional Monaco :-)

This is how I received the watch over 18 months ago.
Yeah its a bit rough round the edges and the dial's a bit crazy but I love it and it's now my lucky watch.
So with this in mind I really wanted to do what I could to bring it back to life.
Things like missing blocking lever, dodgy glass and terrible case were all pretty easily resolved but it was the hands that were the most difficult problem for me.

So 1st stage was to replace the main hands. These took a bit of time to find but still weren't correct.I think they were service hands and the red sweep hand was too long.
I then managed to find a new set of sub-dial hands and a more appropriate set of hour, minute, sweep hands.
And finally, after losing count of how many false leads I've followed, thanks to a top OTDer we have the steel, square ended hands :-)
Thanks Abel!